Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Planning Period

Oh this magical period of "planning." Some days, I feel like I spend the entire 45 minutes or so running laps around myself preparing for the sophomoric bunch of adolescents that are too knowledgeable in things they shouldn't be to ransack my classroom, my brain, and my nerves. (Did I use the word ransack correctly?) Oh, the magic of a planning period. Instead of driving myself crazy with the things that I will never be able to get done, I am blogging. My contacts are still fuzzy from last night's sleep...or lack thereof. Jack is sick and has a bodacious sour throat. He will accidentally blow his nose and then rub his hands all in his own snot, tasting a little here and there, all the while having no clue that what he is doing is socially unacceptable and a little gross. He makes the socially unacceptable absolutely adorable. I believe my contacts are still dry because of the killer dry air that is hovering over north Alabama. No matter how many times I may complain about the humidity - give me humidity and you have given me freedom. I have a desert of dry skin and dry air makes being outside or anywhere intolerable. Don't even get me on the issue of static-y hair. No amount of dryer sheets OR dirty hair will relieve the static in my hair.
Am I complaining? I might be a little. But, after all, it's my planning period.
I do like my friend Brandie's latest post on her blog. If I had the brain power I would attach a link here: ___________________. I don't so you can find it on my sidebar.
Currently, I still have 25 minutes. I'm not wasting this "planning period." I am well aware of what my classes will be doing today and how I will instruct these eager minded students in the field of literature and English. But not my seventh graders. My co-teacher will teach usage today. It is always tricky when learning the difference between choose or chose, lay or lie, between or among, etc. So, I will have a little extra breathing time during 2nd and 3rd period! Eighth grade? The Diary of Anne Frank. I love this little girl. I read the book in seventh grade and told everyone that we were once friends in a far away life. What did I know? Still, her story, along with others, fascinate me. I could never imagine being faced with such challenges.
My Reading Skills class and I are reading a book entitled A Matter of Trust. It is the third book in the Bluford High Series. My students love these stories! And hey, if I can teach theme, main idea, sequence, etc using stories these hard to please young teens like - then I am all for it.
I have suddenly realized that I must make copies. We are only allowed 100 copies a week. Yes, hard times. Imagine if schools systems were managed like the NFL. Phenomenal.
So this blog is just as random as I am going to let it be. It helped wake me up. So, good morning Tuesday, Here I Come!!!
And yes, I do realize that I called Jack's throat sour instead of soar!! uhmm

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Whut up wit it Mizz Smalley?